Auto Recycling: It Helps the Environment
Proper handling and recycling of older vehicles is vital to ensure the reduction of toxic waste in our environment. In North America alone, more than 12 million automobiles are scrapped yearly by vehicle recycling companies. This number makes cars the most recycled item in the country. Therefore, the way you dispose your old car, truck, van or SUV represents an impressive opportunity to reduce your carbon footprint.
When a vehicle is at the end of its usefulness, how much of it can be recycled? Many Canadians don’t realize how much of the vehicle can be re-purposed. Indeed, nearly every item from a vehicle can be recycled. The fluids are drained from the vehicle and stored in tanks where they are safely contained until they can be reused or recycled. This guarantees that less dangerous chemicals seep into groundwater and permanently contaminate the soil. At Recycle Your Auto, making sure that no hazardous materials end up in our landfills is part of our job.
Many people are still unaware of the environmental advantages of recycling your scrap car. Not only does recycling your junk car help our environment, it reduces the need for pollution generated from new manufacturing. Automotive recycling holds tremendous benefits for the environment over using new materials to build brand new vehicles. It also can give some auto parts a second chance at being useful instead of winding up rusting away in a landfill; talk to a scrap car removal business for more information.
Resources Benefit from Auto Recycling
- A major benefit of vehicle recycling is that the steel from end of life vehicles can be reused for other purposes. As such, less energy is needed for the manufacture of new steel. This results in less air pollution, less water pollution and less mining waste, all a big plus for the environment.
- In North America alone, the parts from car recycling save nearly 85 million barrels of oil annually that would have been used to manufacture new automotive parts.
- Harmful materials such as oil, transmission fluid, coolant, power steering fluid and brake fluid that are not properly recycled can result in the contamination of soil and ground water.
- One liter of engine oil can pollute as much as one million liters of water if it isn’t properly recycled. Additionally, one gallon of used motor oil provides the same 2.5 quarts of lubricating oil as 42 gallons of crude oil.
- Though auto manufacturers stopped using mercury switches nearly 20 years ago, there are a significant number of vehicles at the end of their usable life that contain mercury. Mercury is a bio-accumulative toxin, meaning it is a persistent contaminant that does not readily break down. Recovering mercury switches from old cars will remove up to 75 tons of highly toxic mercury from our air and water.
Let Recycle Your Auto come and pick up your forgotten old vehicle. We will remove it from your property without leaving a mark behind and in a green certified manner. Not only will you make money from recycling your vehicle with us, you can also feel good knowing that all the parts of your auto will be recycled with mother nature’s approval.